French Waffles with Cointreau Cream
Serves 6-8 Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 30 mins
This recipe is by Martyna Angell and can be found on her blog Wholesome Cook.
For the French Waffles
- 160g plain unbleached flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar or stevia
- pinch of sea salt
- 50g Brookfarm Lemon Myrtle Macadamia Oil
- 2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
For the Cointreau Whipped Cream
- 1 cup fresh (whipping) cream
- 2 tbsp Cointreau
- 2-3 squares dark chocolate
Instructions To make the Waffles
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, macadamia oil, yolks and half the milk until smooth. Add remaining milk and zest and set the mixture aside for 10 minutes to “develop”.
- Heat waffle iron to hot.
- In the meantime, beat whites until firm peaks form. Add the whites to the mixture and fold through gently.
- Ladle batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook for 4 minutes or until the waffles are starting to turn golden brown and the steam stops coming from the machine.
To make the Cointreau Cream
- Whip cream with Cointreau until soft peaks form. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Dollop waffles with the whipped cream and a dusting of chocolate shavings.