Korean Style Bangalow BBQ Pork and Brunswick Prawns
by Steven Snow – Fins Restaurant
Served with green mango and papaya salad with a light, spicy Vietnamese dressing
Dietary: Dairy free, Contains shellfish, contains soy, No nuts
- 1kg Bangalow sweet pork belly
- Master Stock
- 1 lt. chicken stock
- 120ml light soy
- 120ml Chinese cooking wine
- 20gm rock sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp Sichuan pepper
- 1 tsp cardamom pods
- 1 4cm piece of dried orange peel
- 1 birds eye chilli
- 3cm ginger
- Place all ingredients into a pot and gently simmer for 3 hours.
- Line a large tray with baking paper.
- Place the pork belly skin side down in the tray. Cover with hot stock.
- Lay another sheet of baking paper over the top.
- Place a cooling rack or similar on top of the pork to hold it under the liquid.
- Tightly cover the tray with foil and cook in the oven at 160°C for 4 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a clean lined tray being careful not to break. Reserve the stock.
- Lightly press the pork belly overnight.
- Slice the belly into 5cm wide strips and then slice each strip into 1cm wide pieces.
Nam Jim ingredients
- 5 long red chillies-chopped roughly
- 3 cloves garlic- crushed
- 3 coriander roots-chopped
- 3 golden eschalots- sliced roughly
- 1 tbsp ginger- chopped finely
- 70ml fish sauce
- 150g palm sugar
- 100ml lime juice
- Bind the chilli, ginger, coriander root, eschalot, and garlic in a mortar and pestle.
- Then add fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice . Or place all ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth
Green Mango and Papaya Salad with a light, spicy Vietnamese dressing
- BBQ Pork Marinade
- 300ml ABC sweet soy
- 150ml Fish sauce
- 70ml Lemon Myrtle infused Brookfarm Macadamia Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Green mango and Papaya salad
- 1 green mango, julienned
- 1 very small green papaya, julienned
- 3 baby radish sliced into 2mm rounds
- 12 snow peas (mangetout), trimmed and julienned
- 20 coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 20 mint leaves
- 2 French shallots, finely sliced
Dress with nam jim, reserve some dressing to drizzle around the plate
- Deep fry 2 slices of pork per person until crispy
- Transfer to a tray and baste liberally with bbq pork marinade
- Char grill 2 prawns per person for 2 minutes or until just cooked. Baste liberally with bbq
- 2 slices tomato each
- 2 chive sticks each
- 2 slices radish each
- Place two slices of tomato on the plate slightly overlapping and season with sea salt.
- Place two pieces of pork on the tomato.
- Place the prawns on top of the pork.
- Neatly arrange salad on top of the prawns.
- Garnish the salad with 2 slices of radish and 2 chive sticks. Drizzle a little dressing around the base and place a lime wedge to the side.