Poached Palm Sugar Berries
An extract from our mini cookbook ‘The CHEF on our FARM’.
Recipe compliments of chef Steven Snow of Fins Restaurant
“Anyone can cook this and everyone will love it.”
Serves 4 as a dessert
- 12 fresh lychees
- 2tbsps Brookfarm Macadamia Oil infused with Lemon Myrtle
- 50g unsalted butter
- 300g grated palm sugar (jiggery)
- 600g fresh berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or mulberries
- squeeze of lime or lemon juice
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- cream or ice cream to serve (optional)
- Peel the lychees. Cut a small slit in one side of each lychee and gently remove the stone.
- Melt the oil and butter and sugar in a frying pan over medium-high heat until the butter bubbles and the sugar liquefies.
- Add the berries and lychees and toss quickly to coat.
- Add 250ml (1 cup) water, the lime juice, kaffir lime leaf, vanilla bean and a pinch of salt.
- Reduce the temperature and simmer for about 2 minutes or until the berries are tender but not mushy.
- Poached palm sugar berries can be served warm or cold with cream or ice cream, if desired.