Salmon & Asparagus Skewers
Courtesy of Chef Jimmy Boswell
“Salmon as we have been told is a great source of Omega 3. Also the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is at a good level. In this recipe I have used cold smoked salmon fillet which adds a light, smokey flavour that is match well with the honey, ginger and the light brush of the lime-chilli infused oil.”
Makes 6-8 skewers
- 3 tbsp Brookfarm Lime Chilli Infused Macadamia Oil
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp minced ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch pepper
- 450 g (1 lb) skinless salmon, sliced into 25mm (1 inch) cubes
- 12 asparagus spears, woody base removed and halved
- 6 skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
- In bowl, whisk together honey, vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper.
- Remove skin from salmon; slice lengthwise into long strips and dice into even sized cubes.
- Thread a salmon cube 2/3’s along a soaked skewer then thread 2 asparagus pieces. Repeat with a salmon cube, asparagus pieces twice more.
- Repeat the same process on all of the skewers.
- Place the skewers in a shallow dish and pour the sauce mixture over skewers, turning to coat well. Let them rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Before grilling remove the skewers from the sauce and lightly brush with the Brookfarm Lime Chilli Infused Macadamia Oil and place on a grill that has been heated to medium-hot.
- Grill over medium-high heat, brushing often with marinade for 4 minutes on 1 side, turn and grill for 3 minutes or until fish flakes easily on the other side.
- Serve atop a seasonal fresh salad of mixed greens that have been dressed in a bowl with 1 tbsp Brookfarm Lime Chilli Infused Macadamia Oil and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Tip: To remove skin from fish, gently slip sharp knife under skin at one corner of fillet. Using free hand, peel off skin while pressing against fish with flat edge of knife.