Sweet Potato Chicken Bacon Burgers
Recipe courtesy of chef Jimmy Boswell
“Lemon myrtle infused oil has a very vibrant and fresh taste. Using it to cook these patties finishes them with a wonderful layer of lemon flavour that balances out the overall taste well. I usually serve these on a cooked, large mushroom and topped with salad greens and grated cheese or on a bed of salad greens.”
- Brookfarm Macadami Oil infused with Lemon Myrtle
- 250g streaky bacon strips
- 600g chicken mince
- 2 medium Kumara (sweet potatoes), rinsed, peeled and finely diced|
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 4 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp rice or coconut flour
- Cook the bacon over a hot heavy based fry pan or griddle until it is crispy. Put it on plate covered with paper towels. Once the bacon has cool, crumble it into small pieces.
- While the bacon is cooking, use your food processor to finely chop/dice the sweet potatoes, onion and spinach. You want small, tiny pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon, sweet potato, onion and spinach. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the mince and mix until all of the spices and ingredients are well combined.
- Form the mixture into 12-14 patties. Cook in batches on a hot frying pan that has had 1 tbsp of Macadamia Oil infused with Lemon Myrtle added.
- Cook them for about 5 minutes on one side, flip them and cook until they are no longer pink inside, 3-4 minutes. Set aside on a warm plate and keep warm in the oven if needed on a low heat. Cook the rest of the patties adding more oil as required.